Practicing problems is a key element to prepare for math competitions. The following resources are recommended by the CMS for students who are looking to build their problem solving skills and succeed in competitions.
A series of booklets designed as enrichment materials for high school students with an interest in and aptitude for mathematics. Some booklets are specifically geared towards competition preparation.
A compilation of CMO exam problems and solutions. Geared towards students preparing for olympiad-level contests. Problems and solutions are provided in both English and French.
Periodical available in print and online. A source of unique and challenging mathematical problems for secondary and undergraduate students. Fully peer-reviewed solutions by academic/professional mathematicians are included. Online issues more than five years old are free to the public.
The Math Olympian
A Novel by Richard Hoshino. Richard Hoshino was a member of the Canadian Team to the International Math Olympiad in Mumbai India (1996) and won a silver medal. His book tells the story of Bethany's road to the International Mathematical Olympiad. Through persistence, perseverance, and the support of innovative mentors who inspired her with a love of learning. Bethany confronts these challenges and develops the creativity and confidence to reach her potential. In training to become a world champion mathelete, Bethany discovers the heart of mathematics. This book not only describes her journey, but details the different approaches that can be undertaken to solve an array of mathematical problems. A great read for students interested or participating in mathematics competitions. Copies can be obtained from Friesenpress and Amazon
The Art of Problem Solving
- Site offering vast resources on mathematical problems including books, online classes, and mathematics discussion forums.
- Expii "Solve"
- Expii solve is a periodically-released set of math problems composed by Po-Shen Loh, math professor at Carnegie Mellon University and coach of the US International Math Olympiad team.
International Mathematical Talent Search (IMTS)
- Free archive of problem sets for secondary school students aiming to compete at national and international levels.
- Ran from 1991 to 2001.
The Mathematical Olympiads Correspondence Program (Olymon - MOCP)
- Free archive of problem sets and solutions for students aiming to compete at the national olympiad level.
- Ran from 1997 - 2010.
- Large collection of resources for math students and teachers.
- Includes the ability to pose a question to the Math Central panel of consultants in the 'Quandaries and Queries' section.
- Competition Papers Archive
To report errors or omissions for this list, please contact CMS Competitions at email@example.com.